Friday, January 2, 2009

Thrift Shopping...

I wanted to take some time to share my love of thrift shopping. First of all, I must say that in the small town where I live, thrift shopping has connotations for the homeless and underprivileged. And more so, I haven't come across any good thrift shops here. We have the local Salvation Army and a few consignment shops(which are actually okay). But for the most part, I thrift shop out of town and online. I have found some really great items. For me, thrift shopping isn't necessarily about finding a bargain. Although, you are getting great pieces for much less than you would at retail. Thrift shopping, to me, is about finding a one of a kind item; perhaps with some history and some vintage appeal. Thrift shopping is fun and exciting, especially when I stumble across that great high-end "must-have" designer item. Remember the old saying, "One man's junk is another man's treasure." This is so true. The items in a "reputable" thrift store are usually donated "hand-me-downs" from people cleaning out their closets, getting rid of estate items, or simply wanting a tax write-off. The challenge is rummaging through it all to get to that pot of gold item. I do have one piece of advice when thrifting, the best thrift shops are found in upscale communities. Do I need to explain why???

Happy Shopping!

Here are some of my most recent finds:

Above:Best & Co.vintage mink stole from Goodwill in Orange County, CA; $31.74

Left: vintage necklace from Housing Works; Grammercy, NY; $85.50











vintage white rabbit coat from Psycho Sisters Consignment in Little Five Points Atlanta, GA; $50.00











brand new "A-Pocket" Seven For All Mankind Jeans from Goodwill of Orange County, CA; $47.30











vintage-looking embroidered Aryn K. dress from Goodwill of Orange County, CA; $52.51

1 comment:

  1. That necklace is Hott! and I got a mink like that as well

    LK

    ReplyDelete